Florida

Back in Florida and it feels great. I love fishing Florida. This trip took my family and I to Orlando for Disney and a little get away. I booked a trip with Capt. Nick Sassic on Mosquito Lagoon with hopes of Red Fish. Check out Nick's web page www.mosquitolagoonflyfishing.com he is a hell of a guide. One of the best saltwater guides I have fished with. I'm going to try and fish with him next winter in Louisiana for the monster reds. Weather was not on our side with clouds and ran in the area. Nick fishes out a Hellsbay Waterman...hellsbay makes the very best flats boats in teh business. Can't wait to get mine on order and get it back to Kansas. That's for a later post but in the near future.
  I can not wait to chase wiper and carp in on of these bad boys. Back to the day. Pulled out of the lanch ramp and Nick headed out into the Lagoon and ask me what I would like to do. I knew he would not be able to see the reds early with the clouds so I said lets chase so trout until the sun comes out or conditions get a little better. So that's what we did and boy was that a good choice. They fish are fun on a fly they eat good. I got them on top, with shrimp patterns and on bait fish patterns. Here is one of the better trout.

Fished my new Scott S4S 8wt today with my T8 Galvin reel. I also had my Scott S4S 7wt but never fished it. I would have loved to have my Scott S4S 5wt on the trout..that would have been a blast. We decided to work our way out and start looking for Redfish, I was throwing a top water picking off fish as we worked our way out when all of a sudden a big redfish came up on my top water two different times but would not eat. It was by far one of the best sights I've seen fishing. He wanted it but could not bring hisself to jump up and get it. We got out and started getting on the flats looking for reds. We were finding good size groups crusing around. Nick would put me in front of them and I would cast to them sometimes hooking up and sometimes not. These redfish pull hard all the way back. They make small runs not like a bone fish but pull harder.
All my fsh were just like this guy nothing really smaller or larger. This was just an outstanding trip that I'm ready to do again. I may do it later this year just for the hell of it with the ease to get to Orando. My last flat of teh day was loaded with single, double and tripples tailing and very happy. We started at one end and just worked down thru them picking them off one by one. I caught some, broke one off and had others just come unbuttoned. I can not say enough about Capt Nick, he is a great guide that will HUNT for you. After all my bone fish and tarpon trips up to this point I have never got a redfish and did not know what they would be like. I can tell you I had more fun on these guys than I did my last couple of bone fish trips in the keys. This was an absolute kick ass trip that I would recomend to any fly fisher.